African American girl with natural hair

Taliah Waajid Natural Hair Show

June 14th, 2012

Beauty Blog

start today

NEXT CLASS STARTS May 13th

share

By Stevania Stephens, Tricoci University at Chicago NE

On the weekend of April 28 -29, the biggest natural hair show took place. People from all of the 50 states, Canada and overseas journeyed to Atlanta, Georgia for the Taliah Waajid International Natural Hair Show. Wavy, curly, kinky and coily hair united for a true celebration of texture. It was an incredible experience because people don’t realize that natural hair isn’t just an afro or locks – the styles are limitless.

I had the opportunity to attend the hair show, and I feel so enlightened. I took a hair locking class and learned how to do a South of France fade from Usher’s personal barber, Curtis Smith. As a cosmetology school student, we learn that all hair isn’t created equally. The products and tools you use are very important. I was introduced to so many natural products that I had never heard of and tools I had never seen before. For example, there was a tool called “Nudered,” which is a new styling tool that transforms your hair into twists just by rubbing it in a circular motion. Another example is Organic Root Stimulators new line called “Curls Unleashed,” which has numerous products from shampoos and conditioners to curling putty. My favorite product from this new line would be the curl refresher for three- to five-day-old twist outs.

The product knowledge was nice, but the entertainment was even better. There was a pre-party on Friday night where I had the chance to meet award-winning actress, Kimberly Elise, sporting her natural mane in an Afro, and I got a goodie bag with various products. On Saturday night, there was a natural hair “Crowning Affair” to crown the next natural top model. The winner would be the spokesperson and face of Taliah Waajid products. This event was hosted by Kimberly Elise and actor/comedian Bone Hampton. On Sunday evening, singer and actor, Tank, took the center stage and set it off. Honestly, a great conclusion to a wonderful weekend!

sign up today!

NEXT CLASS STARTS May 13th