Having a little more time at home lately means more time to explore different beauty techniques. For all of the beauty queens, it means extra time to change your beauty routine to get the hair you’ve always wanted. We all know the look: glossy hair that looks effortless and flyaway-free, with enough shine to stop traffic. Whether it’s preparing yourself for a video conference meeting for work, or perhaps even a date night over Zoom, follow these tips to score your best glossy, shiny hair using simple routines.
1. Add Hair Products that create a glossy appearance to your Routine. Often, the easiest way to get glossy, shiny hair is to incorporate a weekly treatment. Masks can help add shine, while restoring moisture to dry or damaged hair. Masks also help prevent frizz and flyaways. The addition of a once-a-week clarifying shampoo can benefit hair as well. A clarifying shampoo contains ingredients that will remove buildup from products and minerals versus daily shampoos. Clarifying shampoos are able to efficiently remove residue and oils left behind from other products. If you do not shampoo your hair daily, clarifying shampoos reduce the buildup of product that can leave hair feeling weighed down and oily. Be sure to only use masks or clarifying shampoos sparingly throughout the week. Overuse of a mask can lead to oily locks, while too much use of a clarifying shampoo can strip hair of necessary natural oils and leave hair dry.
2. Protect your Glossy Locks. Just like your skin needs sunscreen in the sun to be protected from UV damage, your hair needs similar protection. If you find yourself frequently reaching for a blow dryer, curling iron, or straightener, be sure a heat protectant is part of your beauty routine. Without a protectant, overuse of heat on the hair can lead to split ends, and dry, limp and damaged hair. A heat protectant works by adding a shield to the hair’s cuticle to prevent breakage, while also sealing in moisture. Protectant sprays and creams also work to smooth hair and add shine. The result? Glossy, shiny hair that looks fresh out of the salon.
3. Brush the Right Way. Not all hair brushes are created equal. Unfortunately, the hair brush on the store shelf might not be the best brush to get the glossy hair seen on the magazine covers. In fact, using the wrong brush for your hair type, or when hair is too wet or dry can lead to hair breakage. As a general rule, the hair is typically at it’s weakest while it is wet, and needs to be cared for accordingly. It’s best to comb through wet strands with a wide tooth comb to gently remove knots while preserving the strength of the hair. When drying the hair with a brush, keep in mind hair’s density and texture. If you have fine hair, consider a bristle brush, that will gently work through your strands without pulling. If you have thicker hair, you will need a stronger brush with bristles made of materials such as nylon. Preventing breakage through correct brush usage will lead to glossy, shiny hair that you’re looking for. Concerned about cost? Plenty of brushes found at your local store can lead to luscious locks as long as a little research is put in.
4. Blow dryer and the heat used during. Excessive heat and improper use can lead to damage of the hair. The speed of the air flow combined with the correct amount of heat is key to creating glossy hair. When drying, do not use the highest heat as well as the highest speed; this can lead to frizz and damage. Instead, use a medium speed and medium heat to create glossy, shiny hair. Also, the direction of the air flow is key to creating great hair. When the dryer’s air flow is used against the natural flow of the hair’s cuticle, it leads to ruffling of the cuticle causing volume, frizz and damage. Most dryers have a cold shot button; this option can be great to set a curl or cool off the hair strand to set the desired style.
5. Consistency Creates Success. As busy as we all are, it can be easy to let steps in our beauty routine fall by the wayside. Come up with a schedule that works for you and write yourself little reminders. Looking to incorporate a weekly mask? Put a reminder on your phone to apply on a night or weekend when you have a little more time on your hands at home. Searching for a good heat protectant and brush for your hair type? Ask your stylist the next time you hit the salon or a consultant at a beauty salon for recommendations and be sure to incorporate those products into your daily hair routine.
Getting glossy hair doesn’t need to be impossible, or break the bank. Small changes, such as adding a weekly treatment and using the correct tools for your hair will go a long way. Not only will you score the glossy, shiny hair that all the celebrities seem to have, but also strengthen and protect your hair from breakage and split ends. If you want even more help to get the best locks in town, schedule an appointment at one of your local Tricoci University campuses to have your hair styled and to get the best advice from those with the most up-to-date hair tips and tricks.