See ya later, 2020! Here are some holiday makeup looks to ring in the new year in style.
Just like you, we’re ready to kiss 2020 goodbye. As we quickly approach the holiday season, you might be thinking about your look and how you will be ringing in the new year. While the holidays might look a little different in the ways of celebration, there’s no reason to skip dressing up and having a little fun with your look. If you need some inspiration, read on for some of our favorite holiday makeup looks for this season!
- A Bold Smoky Eye. We love the look of a smoky eye because it brings attention to one of your best assets: your eyes! A smoky eye exudes confidence and can dress up any outfit, making it a great holiday makeup look to finish out a long year. The best part of a smoky eye is that you can make it a look that’s all your own. While the traditional smokey eye typically uses blended grey and black tones, you can create a look that’s all your own using colors like blue or burgundy. To help create a beautiful smoky eye look, apply lighter colors closer to the inner corner of your eye, and darker colors at the outer edge. Use fluffy eye brushes to easily blend out colors and soften harsh edges. Don’t forget a few coats of mascara on your lashes for eyes that truly pop.
- A Dark Lip. If you typically use more nude or light shades of lipstick, go bold this holiday season by using a dark lip color. You can go for a more classic dark shade like a deep red, or you can go for a more unique shade like navy or violet. Look for a color that will pair well with your skin tone. Be sure to pick up a lip liner in the same shade as your lipstick and line lips. This is especially important when using a dark shade because it will help your color last longer and prevent uneven color around the outer edges of your lips.
- Glitter Everywhere! What better way to ring in the new year than with a bit of sparkle? There’s plenty of ways to add glitter to your holiday makeup look. If you want a subtle shimmer on your cheeks, apply a iridescent highlighter above your cheekbones and along the bridge of your nose. If you’d prefer a pop of glitter on your eyes, use a damp eyeshadow brush to apply loose glitter across your lids. Alternatively, many brands sell liquid eyeshadow in glitter-filled shades. If you’d like the focus to be on your lips, apply a lipgloss infused with glitter for the perfect pout. Glitter can be added to your hair as well! Sprinkle a bit of glitter along the roots of your hair and comb through for shimmery strands.
- Gold and SIlver Glam. Nothing says holiday party quite like silver and gold. If you’re looking for a way to spice up your holiday look, add an all-over silver or gold color. This could mean putting a metallic shadow along your lids. You could go for a traditional pressed powder shadow or choose a gel formula to make application more precise. If you want to take this look a step further, pick up a silver or gold lipstick for a poppin pout!
- Neon everywhere! If you want your makeup to do all of the talking, go for neons this holiday season. There are plenty of ways you can add neons into your holiday makeup look. To start, you can use a bright pink or orange neon lipstick for a picture-perfect pout. You can bring neon to your face by adding a hot pink blush on the apples of your cheeks. For your eyes, you can bring neon to your lids in multiple ways: using eyeliner, eyeshadow, or mascara. Using eyeliner, create a thick line along your lashes to ensure the color stands out. You can combine this with a bright colored mascara or eyeshadow for double the fun.
- Bejewel your face. For your holiday makeup look, you might as well go big and make a statement. One of our favorite additions to a beauty routine for special occasions is the use of rhinestones on your face. If used properly, with the correct adhesives, rhinestones can be a fun bit of shine on your face. To apply, perhaps around the eye area to make a old cat eye, use facial-friendly adhesives like an eyelash glue to stick the gems to your face. A little of the glue goes a long way, so be sure to only use a small amount. To remove the rhinestones at the end of the night, dab a cotton swab in makeup remover, and apply around the area so they easily come off of your face.
However you may be celebrating the holidays and starting the new year, don’t be afraid to have fun with your holiday makeup look. There’s so many options to make a look that’s all your own, adding in unique color combinations, and throwing in lots and lots of sparkle. As we get closer to the end of the year, be sure to follow the Tricoci University Facebook and Instagram pages, as they’ll be displaying some of our favorite holiday makeup ideas from our impressive students and alums!